Maximum Parellelism in 2018.1.2 Significantly Slowing Deployments

08 Feb, 2018 08:06 PM

We recently updated to 2018.1.2 from 3.17.13. Post-update, our Staging environment deploys seemed to be taking 25-40% longer. Our first Production deploy to 'A side' took 61 minutes (19:41 - 20:42). The two previous 'A side' deploys, using version 3.17.13 took 32 minutes (18:36-19:08) and 27 minutes (19:59-20:26). Looking back, all of our 'A side' deploys finished in 30-35 minutes, since we had made all steps run in parallel with the previous steps. We have 184 steps deploying to 78 targets (just for A side). Even though the UI would stutter during deploys with everything set to parallel, it was very quick. As I monitored the most recent deploy, I noticed that it was behaving as if we did not have parallelism enabled, or more precisely, that it was only running through 8-10 concurrent steps at a time (like a multi-car train going from step 1 to 184), and never jumping ahead to steps it previously jumped to under 3.17.13. I began researching and found the updated information linked below, describing how maximum parallelism is limited to 10 steps at a time. There is no information provided on how we can override this value, but we must be allowed to do so. Doubling our deployment time in order to have a more stable UI is a net loss for us. We deploy to 4 environments now, with 4 more online shortly, so it will significantly impact the workflow we established under version 3.17.13. Please let me know if/how maximum parallelism can be upped from default value of 10.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Michael Noonan on 09 Feb, 2018 01:16 AM

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for getting in touch! That page was outdated, so I've updated it wth all the details you'll need to get this back up and running.

Hope that helps!

2. 2 Posted by tyler.souter on 19 Feb, 2018 09:18 PM

Hey Michael,

I appreciate the quick response. I added the setting to 'Project Variables', however, I have not seen an increase in parallel tasks. It still seems to be limited to the default '10' (see attached screenshot showing 10 active tasks). I've tried multiple values and have not seen a difference. Should I be placing this setting in our Library set and scoped to the environment?

3. 3 Posted by tyler.souter on 21 Feb, 2018 05:40 PM

Please let me know if I can provide any further information that would be helpful.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Michael Noonan on 22 Feb, 2018 01:07 AM

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for keeping in touch! I think I've gotten to the bottom of this one. I made a mistake, and the number of Steps Octopus will run in parallel is hard limited to 10.

I've raised this issue to solve the problem:

Hope that helps!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac