"CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long" when running Octo.exe

DJ Sitte

05 Feb, 2018 03:41 PM

I'm currently trying to run the Octopus 'Create and Push Packages' build step in TeamCity and Octo.exe is giving me this error:

[Octopus Deploy] Error from Octo.exe: Cannot run program "C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\temp\buildTmp\octo-temp\3.0\octo.exe" (in directory "C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\f0b47ced5bc97d9e"): CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long
[09:23:35][Octopus Deploy] Error from Octo.exe: Cannot run program "C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\temp\buildTmp\octo-temp\3.0\octo.exe" (in directory "C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\f0b47ced5bc97d9e"): CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long
[09:23:35][Octopus Deploy] Step OctopusDeploy: Create and Push Packages failed with unexpected error

1. 1 Posted by DJ Sitte on 05 Feb, 2018 03:42 PM

I've already checked the paths of the files being packed and none of them come close to Windows MAX_PATH

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Shaun Marx on 06 Feb, 2018 05:34 AM

Hi DJ, thanks for reaching out.

That is very strange, it looks like the process is failing to start octo.exe which is not something we have seen before. I have tried to replicate this but to no avail. I think in order to help you, we may need a bit more information to try and figure out what is going on here.

Is this a java or node application that you are trying to package by chance?

If you could also attach a full build log from TeamCity that may help us pinpoint the problem as well.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Regards,
    Shaun Marx

3. 3 Posted by Dennis on 07 Jun, 2018 11:51 AM

I get this error too, did you solve it?

4. 4 Posted by phu on 23 Aug, 2018 08:08 AM

I think this error occurs when octo.exe ends up getting called with a lot of --package parameters. Just started hitting this error when building in TeamCity. For the sake of testing, I tried to remove nearly all of the --package parameters which made the error go away... but the package is of course incomplete.

Edit: Changing the package target extension to .zip instead of .nupkg fixed this.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac