Autodeployment from external nuget feed

Dmitry Lobanov

21 Feb, 2018 07:58 PM

Hello, there is a feature in Octopus to configure autodeployment when new version of package is available. Unfortunately, it works (at least it always has been that way) only for the built-in repo. Do you plan (and when, if you do) to add support of autodeployment for external nuget repos?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Rob Erez on 21 Feb, 2018 11:33 PM

Hi Dmitry,
    It's funny that you should bring this up as we have recently just begun to think about how Automatic Release Creation might work for external repositories.
    Check out some of our early thoughts on how we think that might work and let me know what you think. There is also a uservoice ticket describing the idea that I would suggest you add your vote and thoughts to. The more interest we get from users on any particular issue the higher we are able to prioritize it. Cheers,
    Rob

2. 2 Posted by Dmitry Lobanov on 22 Feb, 2018 11:59 AM

Hi Rob, yeah, the timing not a coincidence :) I've seen you guys have mentioned in release notes some changes to Feeds API (which we use for several scenarios) related to future changes to Feeds functionality. So I thought that's a good moment to remind about autodeployments from external feeds :) Glad to hear you're thinking about it.

Another improvement, which would be good to hear of is whether you're thinking about being able to configure retention policies to external feeds.

3. 3 Posted by Dmitry Lobanov on 22 Feb, 2018 12:08 PM

Btw, we use ProGet server for Nuget packages. And we use it's support for OData to query packages fast and flexible. Hope that helps.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Rob Erez on 23 Feb, 2018 04:50 AM

Good to hear that someone reads our release notes :)
    I'm definitely keen to get the ARC set up for external feeds so trying to work out how it fits into our short term priorities. Watch this space.
    At the moment we don't have any plans to configure retention policies for external feeds. What would be the typical scenario you would be hoping this would solve?
    Cheers,
    Rob

5. 5 Posted by Dmitry Lobanov on 08 Mar, 2018 08:43 PM

Well, we cannot use built-in nuget feed due to the amount of packages we have, but we do need to clean-up unused packages. So we had to implement a script which deletes all nuget packages (from specific nuget feeds), not bound to any Octopus release.

Oh, but we also had to implement our own retention policy for nuget releases. We keep releases in accordance to our (yet very simple) policy - keep releases which either currently deployed somewhere (to some environment), or which are newer than X days, or "immune" because they were deployed to specific environment (e.g. Production).

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Rob Erez on 09 Mar, 2018 04:40 AM

That sounds like an interesting scenario. I can understand why you may want Octopus to be responsible for cleaning up external repositories. I'd advise that you perhaps create a https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com ticket outlining this idea. That will help us keep track of it and asses its viability alongside other features.
    Thanks for getting in touch, I'm certainly trying to push for the external feed ARC work so keep your ear to the ground
    Cheers
    Rob

7. 7 Posted by Dmitry Lobanov on 09 Mar, 2018 12:50 PM

Oh, there is a mistake. Please read "Oh, but we also had to implement our own retention policy for nuget releases." as "Oh, but we also had to implement our own retention policy for OCTOPUS releases." The thing is, Octopus Releases retention policy is not flexible enough to use. So we have implemented script, which deletes both Octopus Releases and Nuget packages. According to some rules.

Ok, we'll watch for changes and release notes :)

8. 8 Posted by bedok419 on 19 Aug, 2018 02:31 AM

Is their way i can configure to use the version from external feeds instead of creating it own versions.
    https://octopus.com/docs/deployment-process/project-triggers/scheduled-project-trigger#deploy-new-release

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac