Taking a screenshot from a tentacle

john.oleary

20 Feb, 2018 10:19 PM

We run automated tests following our deployments. These are run through Octopus. When a test fails the tests are setup to take a screenshot. Each time this occurs the sceenshot is blank. Just an empty black image. After looking into this a bit it may be that the issue is everything is being done from the tentacle, a windows service, and a service does not have a 'window' so the ability to take a screenshot does not exist in this context.

I'm still digging around to see if there is some way of doing this but I thought I would check and see if you have come across this before.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daniel Fischer on 23 Feb, 2018 01:27 AM

Hi John,

Thanks for getting in touch! I think there are options here but it is not something I have seen done or tested myself so it may require some further digging.

You could try running the Tentacle interactively on a logged in session, you may then be able to capture a screen shot from that session. This session would need to remain logged in however.

I think the following blog post from Microsoft may also have some further information to help you achieve this. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/winsdk/2009/07/14/launching-an-int...

Let me know if the above helps or if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
    Daniel

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac