Cannot launch IE instance through PowerShell Script from Octopus

19 Feb, 2018 05:11 AM

I am trying to execute a PowerShell script which launches an instance of IE. Basically my requirement is to execute test automation scripts with Rapise tool. The tool launches an instance of Internet Explorer and then runs automation test scripts. When I execute the powershell directly on the server it works as expected but from Octopus it does not run. When I checked the log of test script it shows me error which I am attaching here.

I also tried running another sample script which automates Internet Explorer to open a web site using PowerShell
It goes as follows :

$ie = New-Object -ComObject InternetExplorer.Application
$ie.Visible = $true

When I check on the target server, it does not launch an instance of IE as it should.

Please help me with this error.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Rolley on 21 Feb, 2018 04:57 AM

Thanks for getting in touch!

By default the Octopus Tentacle service is not set to allow desktop interaction and without this set Internet Explorer won't run. To work around this you can either run the Tentacle as another user (as shown on this support page), or you can enable Desktop Interaction for the service account (which is a tick option shown in the screenshots of the support page I linked to).

Also, to get you script to work I had to modify it slightly, not sure if this will help:

$ie = New-Object -Com InternetExplorer.Application 
    $ie.Visible = $true

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help with,

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Already uploaded files

• error.png 127 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac