Why are my deployments queued from one stage to when I am deploying to another stage in the same lifecycle but from a different project?

Wesley Pattison

12 Feb, 2018 12:08 PM

Hi there,

I'm trying to wrap my head around how deployment queues work. Currently, we are running to an annoyance and maybe this is just how our deployment processes are setup, but the annoyance is as follows:

- Two separate projects
- Attached to the same lifecycle
- This lifecycle has multiple stages to it: SPA -> ACC -> PRD
- Both projects are tenanted deployments only
- If Project B is deploying for all tenants to ACC (about 20)
- If Project A tries to deploy for a single tenant to SPA the deployment is queued... Why is this?

I understand that we could raise the number of concurrent deployments from 5 to something higher, but that would not solve the issue about why SPA stage is blocked for deployments until deployments on ACC are coming to a finish.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daniel Fischer on 13 Feb, 2018 01:39 AM

Hi Wesley,

Thanks for getting in touch! The reason this happens is due to each Tenanted deployment having its own task. If you have a task cap of 5, and deploy to 20 Tenants, the task cap will be in effect. This is a global task cap so even deploying to a different Lifecycle will retain the problem.

The way to pass this would be to raise the Task cap as you mentioned, or wait for the other deployments to finish.

Hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions here. :)

Best regards,
    Daniel

2. 2 Posted by Wesley Pattison on 14 Feb, 2018 09:43 AM

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for getting back to me. Is it possible to have a global task cap say of 40, but then scope a task cap per environment to something much smaller?

We run into very slow deployments when the task count hits above 10, so we'd like to limit the number of concurrent deployments happening on a specific environment.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daniel Fischer on 15 Feb, 2018 12:58 AM

Hi Wesley,

Thanks for getting back. Unfortunately this is not possible in Octopus. Our task cap is tied to the server and only works as a global value. If this is something you would really like to see in Octopus the best place to propose this would be our UserVoice page. We use UserVoice to gauge community support for different suggestions. When a suggestion gains traction and reaches enough votes, we can start looking into implementation into Octopus.

Let me know if you have any further questions here. :)

Best regards,
    Daniel

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac