Pool of environments

Geert Massa

09 Feb, 2018 08:10 AM

Hello.
I have a question.
Is it possible to setup a pool of build environments in Octopus deploy?
The idea is, a pool of X build environments.
When a new release is created its automatically deployed to a build environment that is currently doing nothing.
So Octopus can choose the best environment to deploy at.
We now sometimes have a queue to our build environment and this can be solved by adding an extra build environment.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Lawrence Wilson on 12 Feb, 2018 04:44 AM

Hey, thanks for reaching out!
    One option which comes to mind when setting up a pool of build environments in Octopus would be to check out our (Immutable Infrastructure)[https://g.octopushq.com/ImmutableInfrastructure] capabilities for elastic environments. The documentation which I have linked you will show you how to deploy an infrastructure project that you can use to spin up new Tentacles as you need them.

Your requirement to determine the best environment for Octopus to deploy to can be addressed within an Octopus project. With this, you can use a script to determine which environment to deploy to, then trigger another deployment via the Octopus API to that environment.

I look forward to hearing if you have found this helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
    Lawrence.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac