Possible to create a step template based on Deploy to IIS that allows user input

blake.duffey

08 Feb, 2018 11:36 PM

I feel like many of our deployments are similar enough that I'd like to try to create a custom step template based on the Deploy to IIS template. It would read in the project variables for the bulk of the 'differences' between deployments.

The issue I'm running into is that i can't figure a way to allow the user to select the package to be deployed. I want to have it as a parameter of some type (ideally as a drop down that would display the list of available packages, like the normal Deploy to IIS does).

Thanks for any feedback.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Pawel Pabich on 12 Feb, 2018 03:23 AM

Hi Blake,

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately there is no simple way of achieving this today. We are aware of this problem and we plan to to address it in the future. You track our progress here.

That being said there is a workaround. It's not pretty but it might work in your case. What you need to do is to bind the package name to a variable and then provide value for it in each project that uses the template. You can find more details here and here.

Please let me know how you go.

Regards,

Pawel

2. 2 Posted by blake.duffey on 12 Feb, 2018 03:59 PM

Thanks very much.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac