Failure on some environments in a phase

andrzej

08 Feb, 2018 02:28 PM

I have a simple setup with 2 phases. The 2nd phase deploys to single environment, which contains 10 servers. Now when a deployment failure occurs on one of those servers it seems that the following servers fail too. Is that how failure-handling within a phase works? Should it complete deployments to other servers, even if a single server fails?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Rolley on 09 Feb, 2018 03:52 AM

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch!

What you are seeing in the result of how we configure a deployment by default. When you trigger a deployment we deploy to machines in parallel (up to our task cap which by default is 5), and any error in the deployment will prevent any remaining actions from occurring. So, to try and explain that a little better what is happening in your case is:

Trigger deployment to 10 machines

Machine 1 - Start
    Machine 2 - Start
    Machine 3 - Start
    Machine 4 - Start
    Machine 5 - Start
    Machine 6 - Pending
    Machine 7 - Pending
    Machine 8 - Pending
    Machine 9 - Pending
    Machine 10 - Pending

So when one of the deployments fail (lets say on machine 4) the following occurs:

Machine 1 - Complete
    Machine 2 - Complete
    Machine 3 - Complete
    Machine 4 - Error
    Machine 5 - Complete
    Machine 6 - Cancelled
    Machine 7 - Cancelled
    Machine 8 - Cancelled
    Machine 9 - Cancelled
    Machine 10 - Cancelled

This is by design, however you can set this project to use Guided failure mode (which is in the settings of the project itself). What this will allow is that if a deployment does fail to a particular machine it will pause the deployment waiting for your interaction, and you can choose to continue to the remaining machines.

I hope that helps with understanding what is happening with your deployment, please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Regards,

Alex

2. 2 Posted by andrzej on 09 Feb, 2018 07:35 AM

Thanks Alex, that should help!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac