Regarding Roles

vijktc

06 Feb, 2018 11:54 AM

Hi Team,
Need help on the below Issue regarding Roles.
My question is If a member of Team has Multiple Roles, how his access will work?

Example: Member of one AD Group is Given Project Deployer for a set of Projects, who is also part of another AD group which has sysadmin access.- What will be his Permissions? Will there be any over ride between these right?

Thanks,
Vijaya Paramasivam

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 07 Feb, 2018 12:39 AM

Hi Vijaya,

Thanks for getting in touch! Permissions are accumulative, so they'll have every permission that's assigned to each individual role belonging to the team they're a part of. If they have sysadmin permissions, they won't have any limitations to their privileges regardless of what other roles they have. Feel free to expand on what you're trying to achieve with this user's permissions, and I'll be happy to help you find the best possible solution. As an example, if you're wanting to limit users based on environment, we have a doc page on setting that up.
    https://octopus.com/docs/administration/managing-users-and-teams/cr...

You can also test individual users' permissions in the web portal under Configuration > Test Permissions to see each and every permission they have.

I hope this helps for the time being! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions going forward.

Kind regards,

Kenny

2. 2 Posted by vijktc on 12 Feb, 2018 09:51 AM

Hi Kenny,

Thanks, I had a scenario where user had sysadmin access restricted to the Project Group, But could not edit some variables for their Projects. User also was part of another team where it is only project viewer access provided, So got this query like, is it Cumulative or delta.

Since it is cumulative, let me browse more and see what restricts the user.

Let me check and revert back.

Regards,
    Vijaya Paramasivam

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac