Upgrading from version 3.2.23 to latest (2018.1.3)

Saurabh Gadkari

02 Feb, 2018 01:27 PM

Hi,
I am going to upgrade our octopus server from current version 3.2.23 to 2018.1.3.
Do I need to take any special care, or it is just the usual upgrade process?

I have an option(preferred) to install the latest version fresh on a new server and then migrate the data from the existing server.
Is the data migration possible due to the potential breaking changes between these 2 version?

Please suggest and let me know if there is any better option available.

Thanks,
Saurabh

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Rolley on 05 Feb, 2018 04:08 AM

Hi Saurabh,

Thanks for getting in touch!

As that is a major version jump I would highly recommend you taking up with option of migrating to a new server. The process is slightly different the what you have proposed in that you will need to install your current 3.2.23 version on your new server, then perform the export/import process followed by upgrading to the new version.

While we have had many successful upgrade reports I would recommend completing as much testing as you can before moving the new server into production.

Any questions please let me know,

Regards,
    Alex

2. 2 Posted by saurabh_gadkari on 05 Feb, 2018 05:47 AM

Ok, so once I move my existing octopus server to a new server and perform the export/import process, I just need to install the latest version on top of it. Right?

I mean do I need to upgrade to the intermediate versions (to prevent the breaking changes) or I can directly install the latest version once the existing octopus server is moved?

Regards,
    Saurabh

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Rolley on 05 Feb, 2018 10:11 PM

Hi Saurabh,

You can indeed install latest version over the top of your current version, our upgrade scripts will handle the rest.

If you run into any roadblocks please let me know,

Regards,
    Alex

4. 4 Posted by saurabh_gadkari on 06 Feb, 2018 09:08 AM

Ok, thanks a lot for your quick help.

I will work on it and will let you know how it goes.

Regards,
    Saurabh

5. 5 Posted by saurabh_gadkari on 12 Feb, 2018 08:14 AM

Hi,
    All went well. I must admit that it was quite easy and the new UI is awesome!
    I wanted to provide the feedback after using the new version for few days. So after using it for about 2-3 days, below are my observations.
    1. I am not able to reset the password of migrated users, however I can reset for the new users created on this version. I get an error "Your email" (Screenshot attached).
    2. The publish dates for packages in the library is showing wrong dates. I copied over all the packages from the old server to the new server and the packages on the new server have the same time stamp as of the old server. But when I navigate to Library in octopus UI, all the packages show the same date (probably the date of indexing or migration). Although its not any blocker, but can we fix this (Screen shots attached)?

6. 6 Posted by Saurabh Gadkari on 19 Feb, 2018 10:17 AM

Still waiting for the answer.
    Could someone please confirm if these can be fixed?

Thanks,
    Saurabh

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac