Tentacle port

01 Feb, 2018 09:16 AM

We need to change the default polling tentacle port (10943), and we did this by editing the OctopusServer.config file. However, the tentacle installation wizard does not allow us to edit this port, so it is always installed with the default port number. We changed this port number as well in the Tentacle.config file, but this seems like it will get overwritten whenever there's an update. Is there any way to persist this change so we dont have to edit the config files of all our tentacles all the time?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Daniel Fischer on 02 Feb, 2018 01:22 AM

Thanks for getting in touch! Generally we recommend not changing the config files as it can impact other areas of Octopus. The port changing back is really strange, you can use the Tentacle configure command to change the port if the UI does not work.

tentacle.exe configure --port=VALUE

Could you also attach a copy of your Tentacle logs? C:\Octopus\Logs in a default installation on your Tentacle server.

How do you update the Tentacle when this happens? (Manually or via Octopus portal)

The above should provide me with a bit more information to help troubleshoot this issue. :)

Best regards,

2. 2 Posted by christoffer on 05 Feb, 2018 09:50 AM

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply!

I couldn't find anywhere in the UI to specify the port to use for polling. When installing the polling tentacle it just uses the default 10943 port.

Also on the Ocotpus server itself I could not find anywhere in the UI to change this port.

Is there something I'm missing?

The reason we need to change it is because we have two Octopus instances running on our network, and we need to change the port for one of them in order to be able to reach both from the outside.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Daniel Fischer on 06 Feb, 2018 03:00 AM

Hi Christoffer,

Thanks for getting back. Port 10943 is just the default we use and can be changed. We have a section in our documentation on this. :)

Let me know if the above helps or if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

4. 4 Posted by christoffer on 06 Feb, 2018 01:39 PM

Hi Daniel,

We've managed to configure the Octopus server to listen to our custom port (11943), the issue is installing the tentacles on our deployment targets.

When we use the Tentacle Setup Wizard, I can't see anywhere in the GUI where I can change from the default port 10943 to 11943. When selecting "Show script" before hitting "Install" I can see that it's trying to install using the 10943 port even though our Octopus server is configured to listen to 11943. So what we've done so far is install it using 10943, and then after installation we manually change the port in the Tentacle.Deployment.ApplicationDirectory setting in Tentacles.config to 11943.

However this only works if 10943 can be reached during installtion. On our new server, only 11943 a few other ports are open, and because of this the tentacle installation fails when it's verifying connection against the 10943 port. And because this can only (as far as I've been able to find) be changed AFTER installation, we're kind of stuck on this step.

I couldnt find anything in the documentation about changing the default port on the tentacle side, only on the Octopus Server itself.

Hope this makes sense.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Daniel Fischer on 12 Feb, 2018 01:13 AM

Hi Christoffer,

Thanks for the update. I understand the problem here. There are some options you can take to counter this issue. As I previously mentioned it is a safer option to use Tentacle.exe command line and the tentacle.exe configure --port=VALUE command than manually changing this configuration file. However this happens after the instance has been created.

In order to have the instance created with the port you require, you will need to manually create the instance after the Tentacle files have been installed and before the Instance has been created. This is where the port is define and where you will be able to change it via script. The following is the script we run when a Polling Tentacle instance is created and can be modified to suit your needs.

I have replaced values in all capitals which will need replacing.

NEW_INSTANCE_NAME = The name of the instance you would like to create PUT_11943_HERE = This is where you want to put your port OCTOPUS_SERVER_URL = URL for the new Tentacle to find the Octopus server ENVIRONMENT_FOR_NEW_TARGET = The environment this Tentacle will be registered to TENTACLE_ROLE = Role for the new Tentacle OCTOPUS_SERVER_USERNAME/OCTOPUS_SERVER_PASSWORD = Octopus server credentials

"C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe" create-instance --instance "NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --config "C:\Octopus\NEW_INSTANCE_NAME\Tentacle-asdf.config"
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe" new-certificate --instance "NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --if-blank
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe" configure --instance "NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --reset-trust
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe" configure --instance "NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --app "C:\Octopus\Applications\NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --port "PUT_11943_HERE" --noListen "True"
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe" service --instance "NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --stop
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe" polling-proxy --instance "NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --proxyEnable "False" --proxyUsername "" --proxyPassword "" --proxyHost "" --proxyPort ""
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe" service --instance "NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --start
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe" register-with --instance "NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --server "http://OCTOPUS_SERVER_URL" --name "OCTOPUS_SERVER_NAME" --comms-style "TentacleActive" --server-comms-port "10943" --force --username "OCTOPUS_SERVER_USERNAME" --password "OCTOPUS_SERVER_PASSWORD" --environment "ENVIRONMENT_FOR_NEW_TARGET" --role "TENTACLE_ROLE" --policy "Default Machine Policy"
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Tentacle\Tentacle.exe" service --instance "NEW_INSTANCE_NAME" --install --stop --start

Let me know if this helps or if you have any further questions/issues. :)

Best regards,

6. 6 Posted by christoffer on 12 Feb, 2018 09:13 AM

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the detailed reply. This is exactly what we want to do, however the script seems to be read-only and I can't find anywhere to change it. During Tentacle installation I created a new instance, but I can't find anywhere to modify the script that is run. Am I missing something obvious here?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Daniel Fischer on 13 Feb, 2018 05:51 AM

Hi Christoffer,

The Tentacle installation happens in two parts.

First, the Tentacle files are extracted and installed to the location you select. (No instance created yet)

Second, the Instance creation. After you have run the Tentacle installer, you will see and be able to launch the Tentacle manager with the option to create a new Instance. By default, the script I gave you is run as a part of making this instance and the is edited based on the options you select. So this custom port can not be defined during the UI installation. In order to use your custom port value, you will need to run the script manually from a console session.

The script I provided will do everything the UI installation will, only it will let you manually change the values you can not otherwise change. A good method could be to copy the script you attached a screen shot of, edit the port value, manually run the script via console. This will create the instance with the desired port value.

Let me know if that helps. :)

Best regards,

8. 8 Posted by christoffer on 13 Feb, 2018 11:17 AM

Hi again,

Thanks, it makes sense now. Thought there was a way to specify this during installation
    that I missed. Anyhow, running the script manually works fine.

Thanks for the help :)

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Daniel Fischer on 14 Feb, 2018 12:27 AM

Hi Christoffer,

Thanks for the update! It's good to hear :)

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac