Filtering target roles to environment when defing scope in variable in variable set in library.

mikejd

25 Jan, 2018 01:14 PM

Hi,
How do I reduce the number of target roles that I am selecting from when defining the scope of a variable in a variable set when i have set the environment that the variable is scoped to and then want to pick a machine (target role). I am presented with a big long list of roles when only two machines belong to that environment that I have just selected for the variable.
Thanks
Mike

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 29 Jan, 2018 03:46 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting in touch! When defining variable scopes, it will list all the roles that exist, so the only way to limit the number of roles is to remove any unused or redundant roles that exist. Since you only have two machines in this specific environment, perhaps that could be a possible solution?

Let me know what you think. If I've misunderstood what you meant, please let me know! :)

Best regards,

Kenny

2. 2 Posted by mikejd on 29 Jan, 2018 04:34 PM

Hi Kenny,
    Thanks fo your answer. But maybe i am misunderstanding something.
    If I am seting up a variable in a variable set in the library and i have said that this variables value is applicable to the DEV environment then i want to specify which machine which is identified by the roles tagged against those machine then why do i get offered all of the machines (roles) for all environments when i have alreday said that this variable value is used in the DEV environent. How an i remove roles they are used in other environments. I hope this makes sense it appears stratight forward to me. maybe i am missing something.
    Thank you
    Mike

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 01 Feb, 2018 05:13 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for following up and clarifying that. :)

I believe I understand your question - when you already specify an environment in a variable's scope, why does it show machines and roles as available to scope this variable to when they don't exist in this specific environment?

This is an interesting question, since scoping a variable to an environment and a machine that's not in that environment won't evaluate for either. I'd suggest adding this on our UserVoice site, as that's our main avenue we consult when considering features and enhancements based on community support.
    https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/

Sorry it's not better news! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns going forward. :)

Kind regards,

Kenny

4. 4 Posted by mikejd on 01 Feb, 2018 09:20 AM

Channels are only available for scoping variables when defining variables inside the project. We have most of ours in the library in variable sets where you can scope to env, role, target. This where the problem lies.
    I have raised a sugestion in the uservoice section.
    Many thanks
    Mike

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 02 Feb, 2018 12:34 AM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for following up and letting me know the outcome. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions in the future. :)

Best regards,

Kenny

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac