having diff feature branch and deploying it to different IIS instances

Shalmal Shetty

21 Jan, 2018 11:13 PM

Hi Team,

We have different feature branch for example let us consider we have 2 feature branch named A and B, now we use teamcity to build the code and Octopus to deploy. Now when a branch A is built a nuget package is generated and we use Octopus create release step and it is deployed to a particular project in Octopus and based on the name of the config tranforms are done and deployed successfully to dev enrionment. Now when branch is built problem arises,however package is same but it has to be deployed to different IIS instance and based on name of config it has to tranform and deploy on different IIS instance in same environment. So my question is can this be achieved in Octopus..? and is this correct approach we are following. Please let me know if you have any better approach to solve this problem.

Regards,
Shalmal

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Reece Walsh on 24 Jan, 2018 02:30 AM

Hi Shalmal,

Thanks for getting in touch,

It's definitely possible to accomplish this within Octopus using Channels

Channels allow you to dynamically change the deployment logic and lifecycle of a project based on the release being deployed.

Using this feature you will be able to deploy the same package to a different IIS instance as you highlighted.

A solution here could be to utilize a Lifecycle that has No Progression in doing this, you will be able to deploy to any environment at any time.

If the target machines all exist within the same environment you would either need to;

a) Duplicate your deployment steps, scoping each step to a unique role applicable to the target machine.

or

b) Separate the machines into unique environments and define this within the lifecycle/channel

If I've misunderstood in any way or you require additional assistance please let me know :)

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Reece

2. 2 Posted by Shalmal Shetty on 29 Jan, 2018 10:43 PM

Hi Reece,

Thank you very much for your response, much appreciated. I will try to follow the above steps you mentioned.

Regards,
    Shalmal

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Reece Walsh on 30 Jan, 2018 12:23 AM

Hi Shalmal,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this,

Not a problem, you are more than welcome :)

If you need any further assistance moving forward please let me know.

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Reece

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac