Sharing output variables between projects

12 Jan, 2018 04:27 PM

Output variables are only populated within a project. For example, if I create one:

Set-OctopusVariable -name "sas_token" -value "?sv=2015-04-05&sig=ajfdsalkjfasldjf32948032488s&*&*&(&£&spr=https&st=2018-01-12T15%3A52%3A43Z&se=2028-01-12T15%3A57%3A43Z&srt=s&ss=bfqt&sp=rwdl"

Then I set value of a variable sas_token to #{Octopus.Action[Step Name].Output.sas_token} in a variable set that is attached to multiple projects. I can successfully access this in later steps in the same project. echo "sas_token is $sas_token" will show value " sas_token is ?sv=2015-04-05&sig=ajfdsalkjfasldjf32948032488s&*&*&(&£&spr=https&st=2018-01-12T15%3A52%3A43Z&se=2028-01-12T15%3A57%3A43Z&srt=s&ss=bfqt&sp=rwdl"

However, if I enumerate this variable in another project, echo "sas_token is $sas_token" will wrongly show: sas_token is #{Octopus.Action[Create Storage Account Queues].Output.sas_token}.

How can I share this value with other projects? SAS tokens are only viewable at creation time (using powershell command: New-AzureStorageAccountSASToken). After that they cannot be viewed (is no Get-AzureStorageAccountSASToken). I have an infrastructure CD pipeline that needs to share this with application deployment pipelines.

Any ideas?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 15 Jan, 2018 04:52 AM

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for getting in touch! Output variables are only available within the same deployment process, so unfortunately there's no way to share them across projects. You would need to define the output variable per deployment process, or store the variables some place else, such as in a library variable set. These variable sets allow you to define variables once which can be used across many projects.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns going forward. :)

Best regards,

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac