4.1.8 How to turn off package cache by default?

Harald Sømnes Hanssen

10 Jan, 2018 08:33 AM

Hi.
I'm wondering if it's possible to turn off the package cache by default. We have had several instances where the cached packages from external feeds has caused problems for the deployment. We'd prefer if the packages where retrieved from the source directly each time a deployment is performed.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 11 Jan, 2018 01:57 AM

Hi Harald,

Thanks for getting in touch! The following system variable can be created in each relevant project to force packages to be downloaded on each deployment: Octopus.Deployment.ForcePackageDownload. You'd just need to define a project variable with that name and a value of True.

Alternatively, there's a flag in Octo.exe create-release command. You can pass --forcepackagedownload=true which should also do this. :)

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns going forward. :)

Best regards,

Kenny

2. 2 Posted by Harald Sømnes H... on 11 Jan, 2018 01:12 PM

Hi Kenneth
    Our position is that we need to do it by default for all projects we have. Wouldn't it be more ideal to have a default setting in the settings section for this in Octopus Deploy? Instead of manually overriding it for each and every project?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 11 Jan, 2018 11:35 PM

Hi Harald,

Thanks for following up! I can see how that would be helpful in your scenario. I couldn't find any reference to a request for this enhancement. The best avenue to take would be to suggest this idea on our UserVocie site, which, based on community support, is where we consult when considering enhancements/features like this in future releases.
    https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/

Perhaps a workaround to ease this pain would be to define this variable in a library variable set which can be applied to each project as needed. Or an API script could potentially iterate across all projects and add a variable to each. A sample script which is kind of similar can be found here.
    https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/OctopusDeploy-Api/blob/master/REST...

Sorry it's not better news! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions. :)

Best regards,

Kenny

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac