Populating variables with values for an release during creation of the release

Alexander Powolozki

04 Jan, 2018 01:03 PM

Hi everybody!
I'm evaluating the usage of octopus deploy together with teamcity using following scenario:
- git with gitflow workflow
- single teamcity build configuration for all development types (feature, release, hotfix)
- single octopus project for all deployment types (regular / feature dev, test, production) by defining different channels with different lifecycles.
For the ability of deploying different features being in development i have to pass a feature name from teamcity to octopus during creation of a release, my question is now: how do i do this? i don't want to define a separate channel for each feature being developed in an separate branch.

Regards

Alexander

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Mark Siedle on 05 Jan, 2018 02:39 AM

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately for now, channels is the option we'd recommend for this sort of feature-branch scenario. Aside from all our channels and branching documentation, we had a blog post some time ago that gave a good walkthrough of various scenarios that channels can help with.

However, we are looking into something we're calling Environment Templates which may provide an alternative to channels in your scenario (a feature branch scenario link is at the bottom of that document), but that is still under investigation internally with no ETA as yet.

Sorry we can't be of more help, but channels would be our recommendation for the time being.

Cheers
    Mark

2. 2 Posted by Alexander Powol... on 05 Jan, 2018 08:53 AM

Hi Mark,

thank you for your reply.

I'm not realy sure if Environment Templates are really the solution which i would like to use for deployment of features because of our assuption that all features (we speak about asp.net core based solutions) should be deployed to the same system set side by side into unique application per feature and should be identified by feature names.

Therefor a single channel should be absolutely enough, but i should have a possibility to tell from outside which feature does a release represent, which in my opinion should happen during the creation of a release.

For the moment i could use a database as workaround where i put all my required data per release number from the build system as last build step and read the data as the first step during deployment in octopus.

But this hack should never become a state of solution, it's really a workaround.

Regards

Alexander

3. 3 Posted by Alexander Powol... on 05 Jan, 2018 08:55 AM

Hi Mark,
    thank you for your reply.
    I'm not realy sure if Environment Templates are really the solution which i would like to use for deployment of features because of our assuption that all features (we speak about asp.net core based solutions) should be deployed to the same system set side by side into unique application per feature and should be identified by feature names.
    Therefor a single channel should be absolutely enough, but i should have a possibility to tell from outside which feature does a release represent, which in my opinion should happen during the creation of a release.
    For the moment i could use a database as workaround where i put all my required data per release number from the build system as last build step and read the data as the first step during deployment in octopus.
    But this hack should never become a state of solution, it's really a workaround.
    Regards
    Alexander

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Mark Siedle on 15 Jan, 2018 01:05 AM

Hi Alexander,

We were just wondering if multi-tenancy might help in your situation? While tenants are typically thought of as "one tenant = one customer", tenants can also be used for a tenant-per-feature/tenant-per-branch approach. This way you could see which tenants (feature names) a release represented from the dashboard quite easily.

Something to consider anyway :)

Cheers
    Mark

5. 5 Posted by Alexander Powol... on 15 Jan, 2018 08:28 AM

Hi Mark,

thank you for the proposal. At first moment it the idea sound very helpfull, but i have to read more about multy-tenancy and i also have to evaluate, if it meets our requirements.

In any case thank you for the proposal.

Regards

Alexander

6. 6 Posted by Alexander Powol... on 16 May, 2018 08:50 AM

Hi Mark,

sorry for long responce time.
    After long decisions the usage of tenants with scripted assignment of variable values for the tenant/project during the build pipeline just before creating a new release seems to be the best value.

Thank you again for the proposal.

Regards

Alexander

7. Alexander Powolozki closed this discussion on 16 May, 2018 08:50 AM.

8. Alexander Powolozki re-opened this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 12:40 PM

9. Alexander Powolozki closed this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 12:40 PM.

10. Alexander Powolozki re-opened this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 12:40 PM

11. Alexander Powolozki closed this discussion on 10 Oct, 2018 12:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac