Feature Suggestion: Include/Exclude steps by tag

Ryan Adler

08 Dec, 2017 02:33 PM

We often have the need to deploy, for instance, just one Windows service from our process. Currently, each service has a stop step, followed by a manual intervention, then an install step, then a start step. We would like the ability to quickly exclude all steps except those which relate to the service we want to deploy. When we do this now, we usually exclude all, then cherry pick which ones we actually need. This is annoying, and prone to error. I would suggest that we can add tags to steps, then filter the process based on the tags (service names) needed. Would it be possible to get something like this?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 11 Dec, 2017 05:24 AM

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for getting in touch! This is an interesting idea! Currently we don't have any plans for this specifically, but I'd recommend suggesting this up on our UserVoice site in order to gauge community support and prioritize accordingly.
    https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/

Other than your current manual approach (that does sound annoying and prone to error), I think that the only solution would be the split this service into a separate project to run these steps and deploy when needed. I understand that wouldn't be ideal though.

Sorry it's not better news! Let me know if you have any further questions going forward.

Kind regards,

Kenny

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac