Octopus Variable export

mjannapureddy

06 Dec, 2017 04:23 PM

Hello,

We are currently using the Octopus Deploy version 3.11.16. We want to get the list of variables( apprx: 600) from 6 variable buckets and compare the deviation from each other. All the buckets have 90% of same copy of variables in it. But we want to determine the 10% deviation and want to merge all the changes so that all the buckets have same copy of variables but may have different values in each of their buckets. So I want to export the variable data to a spreadsheet(each bucket to one file) and use a text comparing tool to determine the changes. Once my comparison is done I want to import the data onto the variable bucket with its values and environment scoping. So I wanted to understand the export and import of the variable set from the Octopus Deploy. your help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tom Peters on 07 Dec, 2017 01:22 AM

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch.

First, I would like to suggest you consider using Library Variable Sets, which will allow you to share variables between projects. If you do have a number of "shared" variables, this is the best way to ensure that there is a single source of truth for these variables.

If you still want to import/export your variable sets, then you will need to script this yourself using the Octopus Api. This will allow you to get your variables in a JSON format. Here is an example script that involves getting a variable set from the API, and also updating a variable. This could make a good starting point for your own script.

You can make this process even easier if you upgrade to v4, where we have introduced a way of exporting a variable set to JSON from within the UI. However, the import process will still need to be scripted.

Hope that helps,
    Tom

2. mjannapureddy closed this discussion on 15 Jan, 2018 09:07 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac