Quick Licensing Question

simon.jones

05 Dec, 2017 05:08 PM

Hello,

I've been searching through the info available and I want to be sure that I am understanding what a deployment target means.

Is a deployment target a single machine/VM/service with one tentacle on? Would two tentacles on one machine mean two or one deployment targets? Does a machine with one tentacle and multiple tenants count as multiple deployment targets?

For example. If I have five machines, each with one tentacle and four tenants; from a license perspective, do I have five deployment targets or twenty?

Thanks for you time!
Simon

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Reece Walsh on 06 Dec, 2017 05:38 AM

Hi Simon,

Thank you for getting in touch!

Deployment targets within Octopus refer to instances within a Tentacle agent.

You could have a single Tentacle agent installed on a machine for instance, and then have multiple instances setup which acts as 'deployment targets'

To answer your questions more specifically, two tentacles on one machine would mean two deployment targets as they would each identify with a unique thumbprint that Octopus will use to identify the target.

One Tentacle with multiple tenants still acts as a single deployment target, again as it still only identifies with a single instance/thumbprint.

From a licensing perspective if you had five machines with one Tentacle installed on each catering to four tenants you would be utilizing five deployment targets.

When adding a deployment target within Octopus you are able to select the following options;

• Listening Tentacle (Connect to a machine via a Tentacle in Listening Mode, Listening Mode has the Tentacle Agent await instruction from the Server, having the firewall exceptions in place on the target machine)

• Polling Tentacle (Connect to a machine via a Tentacle in Polling Mode, Polling Mode has the Tentacle Agent actively query the server via a firewall exception on the Server itself for instruction and is the most resource heavy option)

• SSH Connection (Connect to a machine via Secure Shell (SSH))

• Offline Package Drop (Configure a location to drop Offline Deployment Packages, Typically, we would only recommend this as an option in scenarios where installing Tentacle is not feasible from a security policy or compliance control perspective. The only other workaround would be to install Tentacle on the specified machines)

• Cloud Region (A convenient way to model multiple geographic regions, though these do not count towards the target limit)

I hope this answers your query and provides some additional information.

If you have any further queries please let me know :)

Kind Regards,

Reece

2. 2 Posted by simon.jones on 06 Dec, 2017 09:02 AM

Great! That clears it up. Thanks for the response.

Simon

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Reece Walsh on 07 Dec, 2017 05:49 AM

Hi Simon,

Thank you for getting back to me regarding this,

Not a problem, if you require any assistance moving forward please let me know :)

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Reece

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac