Creating a new release from an old process

jeff.evans

04 Dec, 2017 08:53 PM

My team is curious about how we'd handle a scenario with Octopus. We create a project with a process that has some steps. We release to production v1 with that process and start working on our next release, v2. we modify the process as we add projects, and may also modify variables. before we're ready to deploy v2, we realize we need to release v1.1. We create a release for v1.1, but upon preview see that it includes the v2 process which is not compatible with our environment yet. For example, in v1 we deployed ASP.NET web sites, but in v2 we deploy ASP.NET web applications.

How can we create a release with the v1 process? Do we need to maintain separate projects, one for v1 and one for v2? Or do we have a single project with v1 and v2 steps? Or could we clone a v1 release and update the packages being deployed for v1.1?

Thanks for the help!
-Jeff

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 05 Dec, 2017 06:15 AM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting in touch! I'm not sure it would be possible to modify a previous release in this way. Theoretically it may be, but it would require modifying a release snapshot to create a release from. It would at least take quite a bit of work if it is in fact possible, and wouldn't be the approach we'd recommend.

If v2 is different enough and need them isolated, I would definitely suggest creating a separate project for v2. If the process only has small differences, a good solution could be our channels feature. You could define the same lifecycle for each channel to promote it through the same environments, but this would give you the ability to scope different steps to an individual channel to control which ones run when. You can also scope variables to channels.

There is a popular UserVoice suggestion to allow you to source control Octopus configuration which could help you in the future. I'll invite you to throw some more votes on it, and maybe leave a comment on what you'd like to see with this.
    https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestio...

Let me know what you think! If you have any further questions going forward, don't hesitate to ask. :)

Kind regards,

Kenny

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac