SSRS Deployment (or How to OctoPack an rptproj project)

Blake

07 Aug, 2013 04:04 PM

We love OctopusDeploy but are wondering the best way to deploy Reporting Services files.

I have an SSRS deployment process based on these PowerShell scripts (which are indirectly based on Paul's original implementation):
https://gist.github.com/ChrisMissal/5979564

Now I just need to get the rptproj and rdl files into a nupkg so they will be sent to the target machine. From there I think I can just include the PowerShell call in a PostDeploy.ps1 script.

rptproj projects can't have Install-Package run against them so I can't tie OctoPack to it. One solution I am thinking about is to add a post-build step to another project to copy the rptproj and rdl files to its output folder. That's a pretty big kludge though so I am hoping there is a more elegant solution.

Thanks for your help!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Paul Stovell on 18 Aug, 2013 10:45 AM

Hi,

Thanks for aksing. For this you'd need to use NuGet.exe pack to create the NuGet package manually using a NuSpec file.

Hope that helps,

Paul

2. 2 Posted by Edgar Ursua Jr on 22 Jul, 2016 09:46 AM

Hi,

I am using Nuget.exe pack to create the NuGet package in my TeamCity build step via Command Line. But it's going in this path C:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\... not in C:\TeamCity\system\artifacts\.. which is supposed to when using Octopack. It does not appear in my project in TeamCity too. Would you know why?

Thanks in advance

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Dalmiro Grañas on 22 Jul, 2016 04:45 PM

Hi Edgar,

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Are you you using Nuget.exe pack to create your packages, or Octopack?

Regards,
    Dalmiro

4. 4 Posted by Edgar Ursua Jr on 23 Jul, 2016 01:03 AM

Hi,

I am using Nuget.exe pack. But I already figured out. Just need to tick 'Publish created packages to build artifacts'. :)

Thanks

5. 5 Posted by Asan on 20 Dec, 2016 01:26 AM

Hi Edgar,

I am new to Octopus, Can you please describe the steps you have taken to deploy SSRS reports using Octopus.

Thanks,
    Asan

6. Paul Stovell closed this discussion on 23 Mar, 2017 02:11 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac