Auto deploy trigger

mukesh

23 Jul, 2017 05:32 PM

Hey Team,

I am able to run Octopus with Team City successfully. Right now I'm doing deploy manually in Release section. I saw an option Triggers. May I know how it will automatically detect once new package found.

Right now release are also I'm creating manually using Release tab. Let me know the automatic way once for"
1. Team City build the code. - Done
2. Octo Pack makes a package. - Done
3. Octopus automatic do a push and make a release configured environment. - Doing manually right now.

What's the way to do third step automatic?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 24 Jul, 2017 04:53 AM

Hi Mukesh,

Thanks for getting in touch! You have a couple of options available to automate creating your releases in Octopus. The first way (and the way we strongly recommend) is to use our Team City plugin which is available on our downloads page. This is a great tool to easily integrate with TeamCity. Along with packaging and pushing your packages to Octopus, you can also create and deploy releases from it. It uses Octo.exe under the hood, so it's the most versatile approach. Check out our documentation on integrating Team City with Octopus.
    https://octopus.com/docs/api-and-integration/teamcity

The second way is to enable the Automatic Release Creation (ARC) feature to detect when a package is uploaded to the Octopus built-in repository. There are limitations to it, however, as it was designed primarily for people using older versions of TFS where their build configuration isn't easily changeable. You can read more about ARC in our documentation.
    https://octopus.com/docs/deploying-applications/automatic-release-c...

The auto deploy triggers feature you mentioned are a bit different, where they won't be able to detect when new packages are uploaded. They're machine-focused, where you can automatically deploy once a new machine has been created. Think auto-scaling, where you add more machines and you want your latest release to automatically deploy to them.

I hope this all helps! Let me know how you go and if you have any further questions along the way.

Best regards,

Kenny

2. 2 Posted by mukesh on 08 Aug, 2017 11:13 AM

Hi,

It's working fine for me. I wasn't creating the packages using octo pack. I have one more issue.

[05:08:46][Octopus Deploy] Finding project: Waiward
    [05:08:46][Octopus Deploy] Finding release 62
    [05:08:46][Octopus Deploy] The resource 'release 62 for project Waiward' was not found.
    [05:08:46][Octopus Deploy] Error from Octopus server (HTTP 404 NotFound)
    [05:08:46][Octopus Deploy] Exit code: -7
    [05:08:46][Octopus Deploy] Octo.exe exit code: -7

I'm getting above error. I don't know how to fix that.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 10 Aug, 2017 03:08 AM

Hi Mukesh,

Thanks for following up! Your log snippet shows that the specified release doesn't exist, and we'll need a lot more info to help you troubleshoot what's going on.
    1) Are you getting this error when trying to deploy a release from TeamCity?
    2) Is your TeamCity configuration set up correctly, as shown in our documentation?
    https://octopus.com/docs/api-and-integration/teamcity#TeamCity-Trig...
    3) Is this release being created in Octopus, and can you see it in the web portal? If so, can you successfully deploy this exact release manually in Octopus?
    4) If your release isn't being created, can you attach your full TeamCity build logs? Otherwise, if your deployment is what is failing, can you instead attach your full deployment logs (as shown in our documentation)?

Any and all relevant information on your environment will be appreciated. :)

Kind regards,

Kenny

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac