"Deploy a Release step" does not honour the Channel when selecting the release to use

chris.jones

27 Feb, 2018 04:32 PM

Using Octopus v2018.2.6

When creating a release for a project that contains a "Deploy a Release step" it does not honour the Channel when selecting the release to use, it just takes latest regardless of Channel.

If doing this manually you can change the selection BUT with automated CD we get a parent project trying to release the wrong child project (wrong Channel) and failing.

I would expect when creating a Release for a given Channel that the Release chosen in the "Deploy a Release step" would match the Channel.

Can this be achieved?

Thanks
Chris

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 28 Feb, 2018 03:16 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch! How are you creating the release of the parent project? If you're using Octo.exe (or one of the build server plugins which use Octo.exe under the hood), not defining the release of the child project in the command will automatically select the latest. Just as you define the package version for a package step in an Octo.exe command (i.e. --package=StepNameOrPackageId:Version), you would need to do to select the release version of the child project if needed.

The release you select for the child project already has been created in a channel and will the lifecycle defined for it. Unfortunately there's no way I'm aware of to automatically select a release from a specific channel for the child project based on the channel you're creating a release in for the parent project.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I've misunderstood anything or you have any further questions going forward. :)

Kind regards,

Kenny

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac