Skipped Steps in Task Log display incorrect run time

21 Feb, 2018 04:09 PM

This is a pretty minor issue but I've run into a few people going nuts over some incorrect data showing up in the Octopus UI so I figured I should at least get a defect opened for it, even if it doesn't get fixed for awhile.

If you have a step in a process that gets skipped because there are no deployment targets the run time displayed for the step in the Task Log is the time from when the process started till when that step was skipped instead of '0 seconds' or similar. For longer running processes this can be somewhat startling run times like "8 minutes" for something that ran for no time at all and causes confusion when non-detail oriented people are trying to troubleshoot a process run length.

To recreate the issue create a new project with a process of 3 steps:
1. Run A Script with the content of "Start-Wait -Seconds 45"
2. Run a Script with a comment payload and a deployment target that will not exist in the target environment
3. Same as Step 1
In the project settings change the value of the "Deployment Targets" to "Deployments with no targets allowed".

Found in v2018.2.1

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Alex Rolley on 22 Feb, 2018 05:15 AM

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for getting touch!

We are aware that this is an issue (see here), but thank for reminding us about the issue.

I've updated the issue with a link to this ticket, hopefully we can get it pushed up the priority list. Having said that we are working on improving our reporting in this area, so stay tuned for improvements :)

2. 2 Posted by nathan.stohlman... on 22 Feb, 2018 01:56 PM

Ah, thanks for pointing out the existing defect. Clearly I wasn't using the correct search terms when I went looking. :-)

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Alex Rolley on 23 Feb, 2018 01:54 AM

Hi Nathan,

No problems :)

Have a great weekend and happy deploying!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Already uploaded files

• DisplayBug-RawLog.PNG 33.6 KB
  • DisplayBug-TaskLog.PNG 53.2 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac