Move the "Deployment Targets" out of the "Step preview" pane

arnaud.cornely

19 Jan, 2018 08:46 AM

When we need to select a deployment target set other than the default, the current deployment page will always display all steps of the release. This as 90% of the time no added value and causes the page to be very slow on deployments with many steps and machines.

Splitting those into 2 distinct top level drop-down section would speed the page drastically for most use cases.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Matthew Caspers... on 22 Jan, 2018 03:55 AM

Hi Arnaud, thanks for reaching out.

I have had a chat with the team and there are some performance issues with the Preview and customize page that we can improve on. I have created the issue at https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/4193 to track this. Thanks for taking the time to report the problem.

Regards
    Matt C

2. 2 Posted by arnaud.cornely on 22 Jan, 2018 09:02 AM

Hi Matt, thanks for sharing. I believe the network calls don't make it all here since I see my browser using 100% cpu when trying update each step's list of selected target based on the input given on the machine selection drop down.

Of course you will notice it only with a vast amount of steps and machines and the more manual machine selection you have to make the more you will see it since the update on the step list is triggered every time you add/remove a machine.

Nonetheless I'll be happy to check any fix in this right direction as soon as it ships.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Matthew Caspers... on 23 Jan, 2018 12:16 AM

Hi Arnaud,

I've added some additional notes to the GitHub issue regrading the high CPU usage.

Regards

Matt C

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac