Possible bug : SemVer tags & metadata using version templates

10 Jan, 2018 04:32 PM

After some inquiries, I found out that Octopus server does not accept the same release number when using prerelease tags and metadata. It all depends on the way you specify it : by template (eg : c.c.i) or explicitly (eg : 1.2.0) .

Release Template Explicit

Worse, once I created a release explicitly with a metadata part using Octopus server, any releases created using a version template restarted to 0.0.1, even stable ones. Once I deleted the release with the metadata, they started again to use the right version number.

It seems to me that it is almost as if the version template parser cannot understand the version number when it contains a metadata. Doing so, the "parsing" fails and start from 0.0.0 again.

To sum up and reproduce, follow these steps :
* Create a new release with c.c.i : ✓
* Create a new release with c.c.i-Tag+Metadata : ❌ 'The release number 'c.c.i-Tag+Metadata' does not appear ...
* Create a new release with 1.0.0-Tag+Metadata : ✓
* Create a new release with c.c.i : ✓ but the release is marked as 0.0.1

This behaviour seems to be reproducible either entirely using the Octopus server, or using octo.exe.
Octopus : 4.1.2
Octo.exe : 4.27.3 (through 4.15.10 teamcity plugin)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Nick Josevski on 11 Jan, 2018 02:36 AM

Hi Bertrand,

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes unfortunately that does look to be a bug.

I've raised it here: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/4155 so you can follow along.

2. 2 Posted by bertrand.lemasl... on 11 Jan, 2018 09:41 AM

Hi Nick,

Thanks a lot. I'm not sure how you"re working with github issue vs my report, but you've missed a few points in your issue description :
    - this behaviour is only occuring when using version number templates - version number that start from 0.0.0 again when using templates Octopus/octo.exe cannot "parse" the release number.

That last point especially is problematic because it could mean that version number would start from 0.0.0 in other cases too no ?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Nick Josevski on 11 Jan, 2018 11:05 PM

Hi Bertrand,

Thanks for noticing that, we didn't dig deep into just wanted to log it so we can prioritize it. To make sure we fix all of it I've added those extra details too, we'll be using this discussion here as the source to ensure we fix it right.

4. 4 Posted by bertrand.lemasl... on 12 Jan, 2018 09:53 AM

Hi Nick,

Great ! Thanks for the heads up.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac