Multiple Deployments on the same machine

Av

16 Oct, 2017 09:17 PM

I have 2 IIS Sites on the same machine and I want to be able to deploy to both of them in different ways. One is stage and one is prod, both for the same code base, and obviously, each will have it's own set of variables. How can this be done? I know that I can create a second tentacle for the same machine, and dummy it up that way, so-to-say, but that's a lot of overhead. And, if I were to take that route, suppose I wanted to add a third or fourth configuration? I'd then need to add additional tentacles to the machine for each IIS site. Sounds complicated. Is there a more simple way of doing this?

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Kenneth Bates on 17 Oct, 2017 08:32 PM

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! While multiple Tentacles would work, it doesn't sound necessary. I think the easiest solution would be to take advantage of roles. You can use the same machine, but with multiple roles which can each be targeted for specific steps. Combining this with variables scoped to these specific roles, and I think that may be a good option.

Let me know what you think and if you have any additional questions going forward. :)

Best regards,

Kenny

2. 2 Posted by Av on 16 Nov, 2017 03:27 PM

But the same step needs to be run for 2 different roles, based on how I want to deploy it. So I'm not sure how that would work...I need to be able to deploy it to a specific target only to be determined at the time of deployment, and I won't want to have 2 steps that are identical. On the deployment page, there's an option to only deploy to specific machines or environments but not to only deploy to specific roles.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac