Acquire packages fails with Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

adam.goodwin

13 Oct, 2017 01:28 PM

Hi, I tried everything in this tread (https://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/47736-acquire-packages-fails-with-object-reference-not-set-to-an-instance-of-an-object) and still running into the 'Object Reference not set' issue, this appears to be a problem with version 3.17.3 and above to latest 3.17.5. (All clients have updated Calamari)

I've rolled back to version 3.17, updated the Calamari and I can now deploy as normal.
Is this a bug, or is there something else requires an update ect?

Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Shane Gill on 16 Oct, 2017 12:18 AM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The discussion that you linked to is quite old and the issues that came out of that have been resolved. I think what you are seeing is something different.

Would you mind sending your raw deployment logs when package acquisition fails? (https://octopus.com/docs/how-to/get-the-raw-output-from-a-task)

Thanks
    Shane

2. 2 Posted by adam.goodwin on 16 Oct, 2017 09:08 AM

Hi Shane, thanks for looking into this.

I’ve reduced the log file, and left in the important sections if that is okay?

Kind Regards,
    Adam

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Shane Gill on 17 Oct, 2017 01:59 AM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for sending your log. Are you able to deploy anything else? A simple "Hello world" script step for example.

Could you send a screenshot of your deployment process? Do you have parallel steps in your deployment process?

Cheers,
    Shane

4. 4 Posted by adam.goodwin on 17 Oct, 2017 12:10 PM

Hi Shane,

I’ve attached a screenshot of the deployment process.
    The only steps that run in parallel are the App Directories backups, these are completed before writing the new files.
    I disabled the backup parallel steps and it appears to have resolved the issues with the recent Octopus releases!

Thanks for your help.
    Adam

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Shane Gill on 18 Oct, 2017 04:41 AM

Hi Adam,

I'm glad to hear that it is working again. I think you have found a bug but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Just to be clear: steps 12 and 13 run in parallel and then step 14 is the first step that requires packages?

Cheers
    Shane

6. 6 Posted by adam.goodwin on 18 Oct, 2017 08:43 AM

Hi Shane,

That is correct.

Octopus has been running steps 12 & 13 in parallel for months, I think the problem started with Octopus build 3.17.5.
    Though it was us at first, our Internet been flaky last few weeks.

I’ve attached the output log from step 11.

If you need any more information, please feel free to contact.
    We purchased a team licence start of September, and have started to streamline our deployments.

Adam

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac