Release is gone

baturay.ozcan

12 Oct, 2017 11:33 AM

Hello,

One of our releases is gone on Octopus although no one has deleted it. We checked the audit and there is no record for any deletion. How can it be possible and how can we restore it back? Please help this is very important for us.

Thanks,

Baturay

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Shane Gill on 13 Oct, 2017 12:19 AM

Hi Baturay,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear you release has gone missing.

It may have been cleaned up by retention (https://octopus.com/docs/administration/retention-policies). Retention policies are set by lifecycle, you can find the retention policy for a project by going to the project page and selecting "Process". The lifecycle is shown on the right. Take note of the lifecycle and then head to Library > Lifecycles. Click the lifecycle appropriate to your project and the retention policy for that lifecycle will be shown.

If the lifecycle is set to keep a limited number of releases, my guess is that your release was cleaned up. If that is the case, there is no way to recover the release except to restore a database backup.

Cheers,
    Shane

2. 2 Posted by baturay.ozcan on 13 Oct, 2017 06:30 AM

Hi Shane,

I’ve checked the lifecycle and it is limited to keep 5 releases. However, in the project page, under “Releases” , I can see many releases also the previous ones. I mean, missing release is v0.0.1348 but for example v0.0.1294 is there although it is a previous release. Do you have any idea about this?

Best,
    Baturay

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Shane Gill on 13 Oct, 2017 07:00 AM

Hi Baturay,

Retention policy for releases is based on lifecycle phases. When retention is set to keep 5 releases, it will keep 5 releases for that phase. That means you could have 5 releases for Production, 5 releases for Test and 5 undeployed releases. If you had 5 undeployed releases and created a new release, the oldest undeployed releases would get cleaned up by retention.

The retention task provides a fairly detailed explanation about why releases are kept or deleted. You can find it by going to the "Tasks" page, using the task type drop down filter to select "Retention" and then clicking on one of the tasks. The verbose log will contain the reason why some releases are kept and others deleted.

Cheers,
    Shane

4. 4 Posted by baturay.ozcan on 13 Oct, 2017 07:18 AM

Hi Shane,

Under “Tasks”, it says “Nothing's happening right now, so there are no items to show in this view.”

Also the missing release was a deployed one.

Please see our lifecycle.
    [cid:[email blocked]]
    and Phases

and this is the project Overview.
    Version 0.0.1348 should be there also. We already deployed it before to Production.

Please help.

Thanks,
    Baturay

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Shane Gill on 16 Oct, 2017 12:17 AM

Hi Baturay,

We added audit entries when a release is deleted in version 3.15.8: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3681

I think that would help a lot in this situation.

From the screenshot of the dashboard that you sent I can see 1581, 1533 and 1508 are in the "Production" phase. Only two more releases will be kept in "Production", so I am guessing you have two releases that were deployed to production after 1348.

Cheers,
    Shane

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac