Auo promote build to next environment

sachin.sardeshmukh

12 Oct, 2017 05:49 AM

Hi ,
i have a life cycle as shown below
Dev-->QA--> Prod

In this life cycle if there is no environment set to Auto deployment, every things works fine.

the moment i change the lifecycle such that it should deploy to QA automatically, i start getting warning message on dashboard for the dev deployment.
Please see attached screen shots.

I want it to deploy to QA as soon as the Dev deployment is sucessfull (with or without warning).

Please suggest.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Tom Peters on 13 Oct, 2017 01:09 AM

Hi,
    Thanks for getting in touch.

With regards to automatic deployment to the QA environment, this should normally happen if the deployment to the previous phase completed successfully, even if there were warnings or errors. The important thing is that there were no errors that caused the deployment to fail.

Would you be able to attach the task log for the deployment that completed successfully, but with warnings or errors as described here? This will help us to narrow down what is causing those warnings or errors.

Regards,
    Tom

2. 2 Posted by sachin.sardeshm... on 13 Oct, 2017 03:09 AM

Thanks Tom,

I have attached a full log (RAW) of the process . I have three questions now.

1. Why am i getting Warnings when there are no such in the log ?
    2. Why do i get warnings only when i set QA to auto deployment in the lifecycle?

Last and the most important.
    3. Why isn't my QA deployment getting triggered as soon as the Dev is sucessfully
    completed, in spite of me setting the Life cycle to Auto-deploy for QA. Do i need to do something more for it to deploy automatically?

Regards
    Sachin

3. 3 Posted by sachin.sardeshm... on 13 Oct, 2017 05:16 AM

Hi,
    I think i found the reason for it not auto deploying to QA.
    At the end of the attached log, there is following message

"Pending: Unable to trigger deployment for project 'AdiInsiteGlobal' release 20171013.1 to environment AdiInsite Global QA: AdiInsiteGlobal can only be deployed to tenants. Either deploy this release to a tenant, or configure this project to allow un-tenanted deployments. http://g.octopushq.com/MultiTenantProjectTenantRequired"

As i understand the message it is unable to find a Tenant when auto deploying to QA, which should not be the case. We do have Tenants in QA connected to this particular project .In fact when we promote the build from Dev to QA manually we go in for tenanted deployment as the project is configured for Tenanted deployments only.

Please suggest, need to get this working.

Regards
    Sachin

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Tom Peters on 13 Oct, 2017 06:32 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, this is a known issue with lifecycle auto deployments when you have a multi-tenanted project. You can read more about it and track our progress here.

As a workaround, are you able to initiate the deployments for both the Dev and QA environments from your CI build server?

So your build process could be:
    1. Build/Test/Package
    2. Octopus: Create Release
    3. Octopus: Deploy Release (Dev environment, specific tenant)
    4. Octopus: Deploy Release (QA environment, specific tenant)

This should achieve the desired result.

Sorry you were hit by this bug! I'm hoping we can get it fixed sometime soon :)

Let me know how you go,
    Tom

5. 5 Posted by sachin.sardeshm... on 13 Oct, 2017 07:26 AM

Well.. thanks Tom for the update regarding auto deployment.
    Still interested in knowing the answers to first two questions.

1. Why am i getting Warnings when there are no such in the log ?
    2. Why do i get warnings only when i set QA to auto deployment in the lifecycle?

Regards
    Sachin

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Tom Peters on 13 Oct, 2017 07:38 AM

Hi Sachin,

The "warning" for your deployment is the message you discovered at the end of the log:

Pending: Unable to trigger deployment for project 'AdiInsiteGlobal' release 20171013.1 to environment AdiInsite Global QA: AdiInsiteGlobal can only be deployed to tenants. Either deploy this release to a tenant, or configure this project to allow un-tenanted deployments. http://g.octopushq.com/MultiTenantProjectTenantRequired

So the fact that the deployment to the QA environment could not be done automatically caused a warning on the deployment to the Dev environment. This also explains why you only see the warnings after you have configured auto deployments in your lifecycle.

Regards,
    Tom

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Lifecycle.png 6.49 KB
  • Warning.png 5.93 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac